Part of the Portugese Army
Definition of operational requirements (end user point-of-view), laboratory testing and validation
The Centro de Investigação da Academia Militar (CINAMIL) is the structure responsible for the scientific research and technological development in the Portuguese Army, and is framed in the chain of command of the Military Academy, being responsible for the coordination of the R&D in the Portuguese Army. The LBDB is a laboratory facility of the Veterinary army service, founded in 2006, to respond to the rising of the biological threats against soldiers and civilians and is functionally divided in two main areas:
1) The Laboratory of Bromatology – is a modern BSL2 facility qualified for the microbiological safety/security control of the foodstuffs supplied to the Portuguese army, but also responsible for the monitoring and evaluation of the microbiological quality of the foods prepared everyday, in the operational units. Other main task of this laboratory is to perform incident investigations of foodborne in military units. This task is carried out by food security/defense teams that connect field epidemiologic investigation with lab results and ascertain sources of food pathogens causing overt illness.
2) The Laboratory of Biological Defense – is a biological safety level 3 plus (BSL3+) facility, qualified to deal with pathogenic agents involved in biological emergencies such as biodisturbance, biocrimes, bioterrorism, biowarfare and also to support diagnostic help to public health authorities, in situations of natural incidents of disease in animals. The laboratory has also the capacity to perform biomedical reconnaissance in biothreat scenarios or in natural incidents of animal diseases. Beyond the operational engagement, the LBDB develops applied research in the following fields:
- testing studies of biological detection devices for field application
- comparative studies of new detection methodologies for bacteria
- evaluation of biodecontaminants, procedures and equipments.